Thursday, September 10, 2009

another instance in which 'because i said so' is the answer

Miss O walked into my bedroom tonight whilst I was lounging around in my silkies eating bonbons nursing the baby before bed. She presented me with this lovely picture:



That's her, and Maxwell, and Maxwell is walking a dog, and she's playing soccer, and admiring Maxwell's dog.

This is not the first picture I've received from her with supercute dogs, mind you. There seems to be a doggie picture campaign going on here. In one, she drew herself with a talking bubble that says, "Sweet PUPPY!!!!!"

A little persistence, a little wearing down of the mama. As if that's possible.

So I mentioned to Miss O that I noticed dogs have been showing up frequently in her drawings. I asked if this meant she would like a dog.

Now maybe I'm thick, maybe I'm a mean mommy, call it what you will, but if this was the case, we needed to nip it in it's dirty little butt-licking mouth the bud. This whole Dog Wanting Thing needed to be addressed.

Miss O: Yes, I want a dog.

Me: Well, see, we have six people and three cats in our house, and that is enough living beings.

Miss O: But I really want a dog.

Me: We are not getting a dog.

Miss O: But I really want a dog.

Me: When the cats die, maybe we will talk about a dog.

Miss O: BUT THAT WILL TAKE FOREVER FOR THE CATS TO DIE!!!!! (wailing)

Me: Not forever, just 12-14 years.

Miss O: *NON-DISCERNIBLE WORDS AND HOWLING* (gnashing of teeth)

Me: Really, throwing a tantrum will not get you what you want. Especially in this situation.

Miss O: *MORE HOWLING, WITH TEARS AND FOOT STOMPING FOR EXTRA BEAUTY*

Me: When has this method worked for you? Have you learned NOTHING in the past six and a half years with us?

Miss O: *MORE HOWLING, TEARS, FOOT STOMPING FOR EXTRA BEAUTY, AND OFFERS TO GIVE AWAY EVERYTHING SHE HAS, INCLUDING MOST FAVORED SPECIAL BLANKET AND SULLY THE BASTARD CAT*

Me: This is really not a responsible way to behave when we are talking about something that takes a great deal of responsibility. You are not showing me that you are a big enough girl to have a dog. Which doesn't really matter, I guess, because we're. NOT. GETTING. A. DOG.

She shouted something unintelligible, and stomped out the door, back to her room, where she tore her clothes, donned the sack-cloth, and poured ashes on her head.

And there she sits, with no dog.

Because we are not. Under. Any. Circumstances. Getting. A. Dog. The. End.

11 comments:

  1. I am both of you at the same time. I would LOVE to have a dog, yet I keep reminding myself that it was a bad idea the first time. Then I have a tantrum and I have to give myself a time-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have these conversations at our house too, except in regards to getting a cat and instead of dealing with my young daughter, it's my husband I have to explain this too.

    And I love that I KNOW you probably really did say "When has this method worked for you? Have you learned NOTHING in the past six and a half years with us?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. so the title of a blog in say....december will be " how did this damn dog get here?" JK...

    ReplyDelete
  4. After that little episode I picked up the ball because it was story time. My responses were many and steadfast (cause me and The Missus are on the same team here).

    One of the things I said which must have stuck in her mind was, "We're not getting a dog because I don't need one more mouth to feed and another living being to pee and poop on my stuff!"

    The last two nights she's been cuddling stuffed dogs at bedtime and saying that, yes indeed, stuffed dogs are the best kinds of dogs because they don't pee and poop on your stuff.

    We win... for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl we need to talk. She sounds JUST like my girl! We had a bathroom locking incident tonight over the length of snuggling time. So good to know that I am not the only one with a strong willed little girl!! I actually learned a little from your post today! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haa. so with you on not [EVER] getting a dog. i do miss having a cat though. and sometimes i act like miss o about getting a cat. and then my husband reminds me that our cat puked all over, all the time. and how i acted like miss o about having to clean up cat puke all the time and change poopy diapers all the time. and then i'm alright with it until i see the next free kittens sign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom never let us get a dog either and I survived my childhood. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Should you change your mind, I have a 38 lb snoring pug I would be happy to Fed Ex to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I thought MY daughter was a pouter!

    How do you get ashes out of hair?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Over from Jason's blog. Stay strong, my sister!! We have a 4-month-old puppy. The pee! Oh, the pee!

    And the boys are already angling for a gerbil or hamster. Not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here from Jason's blog. Good writing here. I am still laughing. I am with Middle Aged Woman on this one.

    ReplyDelete

talk to me, people. because you know i get all giddy when you do.