Saturday, April 12, 2008

i heart springtime

My flowers are blooming! I am so excited. I have two daffodils that are showing off their bright yellow faces, and white and purple crocuses have popped up to join the snowdrops. The tulips are promising to have a good year, too. There are enormous groups of tulip leaves popping up all around my house. I don't know what it is, exactly, about tulips that make me love them so, but oh, my dearies, I love tulips.

I am going to try my hand at a few rosebushes this year. I got some last year, and we didn't love them enough, so they up and died on us. I'll attempt to love them more this time around, so we'll see what happens. And also some echinacea, more lavendar, two kinds of sunflowers (for MyGal's Bit of Earth), pansy, nasturtiums, and a variety of herbs.




I finally made my list of seeds to purchase for our vegetable garden this summer. I also got some fabulous rhubarb seed, which, according to Heirloom Acres, is a gem due to its low acidity and relative sweetness.

I present to you Vegetable Garden 2008:
Tema Green Bean

Great Northern Shell Bean

Blue Lake Pole Bean

Green Sprouting Broccoli

Red Core Chanteney Carrot

National Pickling Cucumber (It's endorsed, for crying out loud. How can I not?)

Salad Greens Mix (includes Arugula, Green Wave, Southern Giant and Red Giant mustard greens, Mizuna, Red Russian Kale, Tatsoi and Komatsuma. That is a mouthful.)

Spring Lettuce Mix (includes Ruby Red, Oakleaf, Black Seeded Simpson, Buttercrunch, Paris White Cos, and Salad Bowl Red. That's another mouthful.)

All American Parsnips

Sugar Snap Pea

King of the North Bell Pepper

Purple Beauty Bell Pepper

Howden Pumpkin

Rainbow Swiss Chard

Amish Paste Tomato

Rutgers Tomato

Pearly Pink Cherry Tomato

5 comments:

  1. Damn, Thats alot of veggies. How much of the yard is that going to take up? Hope Jon doesn't have to till that all up by hand. Are you going to be putting up a fence to keep Peter Rabbit out of Farmer McGregor's vegitable patch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have that whole section of front yard in addition to out back. And why mow when your property can be producing food? And why go to the store when you can eat out of your own yard?
    And...and...the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter Rabbit doesn't stand a chance against the Kitty Committee. We've got nearly fifty pounds of feline muscle patrolling at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new header! And you wanted to hire out your template design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new header, too. I took that picture. I know The Mister knows that, but I think it's fabulous and I kindasorta think everyone else should know, too.
    I am done blowing my horn.
    The end.
    Again.

    ReplyDelete

talk to me, people. because you know i get all giddy when you do.